What to do with leftovers? I often myself wondering about this - cooking for one can be such a chore. There is always the temptation to make extra portions for later. But if you're me, you don't like eating the same thing more than once in a short period of time (unless that something happens to be cheese, fruit salad or pancakes).
Looking in my fridge I realized I had a fair amount of leftover red wine sauce leftover from a roast I made for Jackson recently which needed to be used up. Fair enough, red wine sauce is delicious on pasta, potatoes, rice, couscous... it also makes a lovely risotto - if one is in the mood. I, however, wanted to transform it completely.
I opted to make soup with it. It doesn't seem like a natural transformation, but it smells hella good and if early indicators are anything to go by - it's gonna taste fantastic.
I started off with just under 3 cups of red wine sauce. To this I added about a half litre of water and a mushroom stock cube (although I did debate using a pot-au-feu stock cube which I imagine would be lovely). I also added one 15 oz. tin of whole plum tomatoes (which I crushed up with my hands) and a carrot. I brought this mixture to a boil and added rinsed and soaked lentils (soaking isn't necessary, but because red wine can toughen the lentils I opted to soak them first to counter this) - I used french lentils, because that's what I happened to have to hand, but I imagine brown or even red would work just as well. Because the red wine sauce had salt in it, and the mushroom stock also had salt I didn't feel it necessary to add more, but I did add a fair bit of freshly ground black pepper. I also added dried thyme (fresh would also work but I didn't have any) and a bay leaf. Toward the end to punch up the flavor a bit I will be stirring in a glug of red wine vinegar and then topping it all off with some fresh parmesan.
Yay for soup!
No comments:
Post a Comment