Sunday, April 18, 2010

Industry. Industrial. Industrious?

There are weekends when all you want to do is hibernate, and then there are weekends full of events. For me, the best weekends are a combination of the two.

Today was a great Sunday. I started my day off by baking bread for the week. Is there anything as fantastic as the smell of yeast bread in the oven? I'm fairly certain there isn't. I also made banana bread. My banana bread is not particularly sweet and is also more bready than cakey - personal preference.

I had breakfast with a friend at a favorite dive in Fullerton which we used to frequent. Ah, nostalgia (in more ways than one!). After that, did a bit of shopping at Henry's market with my friend Bärbel. I love Henry's - it's way up high on my list of favorite markets. Yes, I have a list. The Oly Co-Op is my favorite, but also on the list are Henry's, Herbie's, Co-Opportunity, Whole Foods, Mother's, Glatt Mart, Erewhon, and Northgate. Those are actual markets. There is also the local farm where I get my eggs and raw milk, the farmer's market where I get my honey, etc. I freely admit that grocery shopping is one of my favorite things to do. But I digress...

Over frozen yogurt (raspberry tart, hello Yogurtland!) we discussed what we've been cooking lately. As we both eat seasonally, there has been lots of asparagus on the menu. What I love about Bärbel is that she's as food obsessed as I am, so that's okay! Anyway, she's from a region where the good asparagus is grown. White asparagus has a short season, but it's amazing. When it's in season people gorge on the deliciousness. She was telling me about this dish her mother makes that honest to goodness had my mouth watering - asparagus, hollandaise, herbed Flädle and good German ham. Holy crap and a half, that sound wickedly tasty.

So, in honor of Bärbel's mum, tonight for supper I am making savory crepes with fines herbes (sans chive, of course), asparagus and topping them off with hollandaise. Yum.

Besides, I'll have lots of egg whites leftover from making the hollandaise, which gives me an excuse to make macaroons! (Not that I need an excuse.)




No comments: