I have a life-threatening food allergy. Boring! Honestly, it's not something which impacts my day to day very much. The only time it's ever much of an issue is when I dine out. I guess my point is this - if I, with a life-threatening food allergy and all my damn dietary restrictions can still walk into any restaurant (Okay, maybe not The Stinking Rose) and manage to order a meal that I'll survive the consumption of, which is also reasonably healthy and tasty - anyone can. It's simply a matter of making informed and intelligent decisions about what I put in my body.
Tonight I went out to dinner with friends. I did what I usually do - I ordered two appetizers. Why? Because I like being able to have more than one thing, and I've found that the portions are much more reasonable. One dish was a lovely Japanese cucumber salad with seaweed, peppers, asparagus and a sesame and vinegar dressing, and the other was kabocha tempura. No meat. No dairy. Not a whole lot of fat. Yum as fuck.
Random Cookbook Plug: Dolores Casella's The Complete Vegetable Cookbook
No comments:
Post a Comment