Monday, May 31, 2010

On the cheap.

Today I went to pick up dates at the market. Whilst there, I ran across FAGE for $.50 a pint - the only catch is that it had a "use by" date of today. I picked up two pints of it, deciding I couldn't resist the bargain. Meal plan be damned, I can make that another night!

So, what does a girl do with two pints of greek yogurt in one day?

Muffins and paprikash!

I make there super simple muffins which require soaking the flour in kafir/buttermilk/yogurt for 12-24 hours, before adding the rest of the ingredients and baking. So that's one pint down.

The second pint was used to make paprikash. I know how to make authentic paprikash, and from time to time I've even been known to make it. This recipe, however, is anything but authentic. It's a total cheaterpants recipe and I really don't care. It's delicious, cheap, filling, easy and quick to make.

You can use any meat you like, firm tofu, tempeh, seitan, or Quorn. If using Quorn - make sure it's defrosted.

So, put a hit of oil in a HUGE pan. Dump in your meat "stuff." If you're using actual meat first chop into bite-size pieces (or you could use meatballs). Saute until browned. Remove from the pan. Add some butter/margarine/oil and a couple tablespoons of flour. Make a roux. Add some water or stock and white wine. Put your meat "stuff" back in the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat add sour cream (or greek yogurt!) and simmer for about 20 minutes. Serve over rice, egg noodles, or even better - baked potatoes. Nom nom.

No comments: