Saturday, July 18, 2009

Live the unexamined life.

I remember learning a song when I was in school (no secret that I went to private religious school - if you know anything about the California public school system in the 1980s you know why) that still irritates me to this day. The only lyric I remember is this: "I'm a k-i-d, I'm a kid of a king, I'm a k-i-d not a monkey!" What the hell is that? Seriously.

I honestly don't remember anything about my science classes - except for one really cool biology teacher in junior high who, while a religious man, didn't attempt to shove his views down our throats. In a religious school that takes balls. Hell, this was a school where one of the most popular teachers ever was shunned because it was discovered she'd had a child out of wedlock. Oh the horror! Someone with such questionable morals obviously couldn't be trusted with the care of young and impressionable minds. <--- that was sarcasm, in case you didn't catch it.

Belief systems are great. I don't go out of my way to verbally eviscerate anyone's belief system (okay, well maybe Tom Cruise's - but who doesn't?), but I do get huffy when people have the audacity to espouse the scientific validity of "intelligent design." Science, my ass.

Fair play though, to Dr. Francis Collins who is a brilliant scientific mind, and also a theist and doesn't find any conflict between the two worlds. Kenneth Connor, however, can kiss my ass.








No comments: