Friday, April 22, 2005

Bitter is state of mind.

Musical Selection: Manic Street Preachers - Little Baby Nothing

My arm feels like it is going to fall off.

I'm about a third of the way into Hitler Youth. It's pretty good. It's nothing new really. None of it ever is. It's the same thing over and over again. When they promise a "new perspective" it's crap really. Sixty years later the majority of perspectives have been covered. So why keep writing about it? Haven't a clue. Why do we still read about it? I don't know that either. This is one of those "bah! why do I bother studying what I do?" moments. I have them from time to time. I suppose I'm just bitter and resentful about current trends within Holocaust Genocide scholarship. Last year alone more than 30 works were released dealing with various aspects of the Holocaust. Most of these were touted as "brilliant" giving the reader "valuable new insight", etc. However the majority of works released last year dealing with genocide were largely journalistic in nature - they were not of a scholarly nature. This isn't meant as a criticism of the works themselves, but my question is - where are the scholars?

One exception to this would be Samantha Powers' A Problem From Hell. If you haven't read this, go out and get yourself a copy right now. It is a stunning work.

No comments: