Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Going astray.

And for today's musical selection: The Arrogant Worms.

Why Arrogant Worms? Because I just bought their latest release, that's why.

Last night I was asked to list my favorite books and/or authors. I couldn't do it. I've been thinking about it since and the list that follows is what I've come up with. It is by no means comprehensive. I've selected books that meet these criteria:

  1. They have influenced me.
  2. They have been memorable.
  3. I've read them more than once.

Right, on with the list. In no particular order,

  1. Life After God Douglas Coupland
  2. The Decameron Giovanni Boccaccio
  3. The Dharma Bums Jack Kerouac
  4. Tender is the Night F. Scott Fitzgerald
  5. The Brothers Karamazov Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  6. Dubliners James Joyce
  7. The Plague Albert Camus
  8. The Diary of Anais Nin: Volume 3 Anais Nin
  9. The Count of Monte Cristo Alexandre Dumas
  10. Jude the Obscure Thomas Hardy
  11. Love in the Time of Cholera Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  12. The BFG Roald Dahl
  13. Good Omens Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
  14. The Waste Land T.S. Eliot
  15. Night Elie Wiesel
  16. The Odyssey Homer
  17. The Little Prince Antoine de Saint Exupery
  18. My Name is Asher Lev Chaim Potok
  19. Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals Robert M. Pirsig
  20. Travels with Charley: In Search of America John Steinbeck
  21. A Prayer for Owen Meany John Irving
  22. Galileo's Daughter Dava Sobel
  23. The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich William L. Shirer
  24. The Bible According to Spike Milligan Spike Milligan
  25. Being and Time Martin Heidegger
  26. The Secret Life of Dust: From the Cosmos to the Kitchen Counter, the Big Consequences of Little Things Hannah Holmes
  27. God's Debris: A Thought Experiment Scott Adams

And there you have it. As I said, by no means a comprehensive list.

No comments: