San Francisco was interesting. San Francisco is always interesting.
Friday afternoon I went to MOMA to see the Bechtle exhibit. It was fantastic. I then spent the afternoon in Dave's - a little pub near MOMA. I chatted with a man called Ray. Ray is from New Jersey but lives in San Francisco. Ray is retired. In Ray's world, every day is Friday. Ray likes Jack Daniel's. Ray calls Jack Daniel's "tea". Ray believes that George W. Bush is evil. Ray wants Clinton back. Ray served in Korea. Ray has a photograph of Marilyn Monroe that he took himself, and he's no liar. Ray likes big band music. Ray thinks today's music is rubbish. Ray bought me a drink. Ray thinks I'm a good kid.
Friday night I met up with a friend, and his larger collection of friends, at Boondock Bay to see Assemblage23 play. It was amusing. Lots of black. Lots of leather. How can you beat that?
Saturday morning we all met up again at Q for brunch. We then tromped our way out to a comic convention - APE. It was very interesting. My friend and I ended up spending a lot of time outside smoking and talking. It was nice to see him again and "catch up" as it were.
Saturday evening I went to the Metreon and found myself smack in the middle of a big brawl in the street. While rare, it does happen.
Today was a day of "breathing" - breathing in the city. I hopped the 2 to 4th and Clement. I browsed the gloriously cramped shelves of Green Apple Books. I stopped for an espresso at the Blue Danube, someone requested I do so. I stopped in tiny shops filled with fascinating things. I talked myself out of buying many little Japanese dishes with the argument that, "you'll only have to carry them around all day and that would suck". I had lunch at the Bitter End. I poked my head in at Ireland's 32 to see if it was as bad as I remember it being and 'lo and behold - it is every bit as bad, if not worse.
It was good. I needed it. I suppose I didn't realise just how much I needed it until I was there.
No comments:
Post a Comment