I love piccalilli. What I do not love, is making it. I'm not one for canning things; it takes too much time and effort and I prefer instant gratification - or as close to as possible.
I spent some time thinking about what I like in a piccalilli - sweet, mustardy, vinegary tang and still a hint of crunch to the vegetables.
In that spirit I present my "instant" piccalilli which I love on everything from a cheese sandwich to a baked potato.
I mix together prepared yellow mustard and a grainy mustard. You're looking for about a cup total of mustard, in whatever ratio you like. I tend to go with 70:30 yellow to grainy. To this mixture add a tablespoon or two of sweetener, brown sugar or honey work well. Then add a tablespoon or so of vinegar. Basically anything but balsamic, and you can even use the vinegary brine from the pickles. Then add the veggies of your choice. Standard would be really finely diced dill pickles, finely diced cucumber, finely diced red pepper, finely diced cauliflower and even sauerkraut (if you do use sauerkraut be sure to rinse and thoroughly dry). You're looking for about a cup of veggies in total, you an add more or less depending on how wet you want your piccalilli. Cover it and chill for at least a couple of hours in the fridge before use. It doesn't keep, so be sure to make only what you're going to use for a day or two.
No comments:
Post a Comment