Monday, December 07, 2009

Raindrops falling on my head.

I loathe cooking dinner. Loathe. That said, I do manage to throw something together most nights - and when I really can't be arsed - toast is my friend.

A "go to" meal for me at least one night a week, is bubble'n'squeak or rumbledethumps or slump, whatever you want to call it. It's basically a concoction of potato and/or turnip, cabbage or other greens, in some cases egg and in some cases cheese. Heck, in some cases all of the above. You can use meat if you like - generally some sort of bacon. I don't, but that's personal preference. I like the concept, but I am not a purist at all.

Heat a mix of butter and olive oil in a reasonably sized skillet (if you are using bacon, you want cook that off first, remove the bacon and mix that with the rest of your ingredients, adding enough butter/oil to the bacon grease remaining in the pan to get a decent quantity). Get a biggish bowl and toss in cooked potato/turnip - boiled, mashed, even left over roasties can work here. Smash this up a bit with a cooking utensil of some variety, personally I find spoons to be rather useful. To your potatoes add in some cabbage. If you're feeling industrious you can dice up cabbage, if you're feeling lazy feel free to use bagged shredded cabbage, or if you happen to have some leftover cooked cabbage use that. If you want to add an egg or two, just whisk it up and add to the mixture. Add salt, pepper and whatever other seasoning your little heart desires. If you want it creamy, add some milk or cream. Mix/mash everything up and then put it in your heated skillet. Kind of press it down a bit. You want to cook and stir it for, eh, 10 minutes or so until you get the yum golden brown bits all kinda mixed through. Then you want to smash the mixture down a bit and let it cook for another 5-10 minutes or so. At this point you'll have a pretty decent crust on one side. Personally, I like to flip it over and crust up the other side. At this point you're good to go. For me, I like to melt a little cheese on top and top with hot sauce and ketchup. Hey - I said it was tasty, not that it was pretty or particularly classy.

Alternately, once you have the mixture together you can put it in a greased baking dish and put it under the broiler for a few minutes until golden brown. If I was doing this, I'd probably add some milk or cream.

Also, I suppose in theory you could actually use freshly cooked veg - but I'm sure as hell not that industrious.

Depending on the greens to starch ratio, it's pretty darn balanced. I also love it cold the next day as it kind of resembles a frittata. But if you're someone who simply must have a well-balanced meal, serve it with a tossed salad.

No comments: